Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

Or is it.
That phrase has been getting on my nerves for the last 4 days.
And. . . I know why.
Last year was one constant struggle on a lot of fronts and I really don't want to go through it all again. Unfortunately this is what 'Happy New Year' has come to represent in my brain.
Happy More of the Same.

With the best will in the world I am not in a position to improve/change things for myself or my family. Each year has melded into the last in terms of achievements and accomplishment. They don't make for inspiring reading.
I worry I am turning into some old farty bag who just goes around snapping at everyone in a state of constant disappointment.
Who has stopped showering and changing her underwear -because who gives a damn.
And whose own family stops having anything to do with her because she's just not worth the bother.
Sigh
Dramatic Sigh.
All this anticipation of the newness of the new year is just bugging me.
I mean if we didn't have calendars and newscasters to tell us it was new years on Jan 1st what day would we pick?
Today?
The first sunny day in February?
The first dry day (because it rains SO MUCH here)
The day we some see something in nature (the birds return, the leaves spring out of their buds, baby chicks,)
Ok so we settled on January 1st some time in the past and now we are stuck with it.
Today I noticed the first glimmer of light (literally) because the days are getting longer. And I need that bit of Spring in the air to revive me.


And so to the writing
This quote from Calvin Coolidge has often made me sit back on the saddle so to speak.
(and the one about eating an elephant. Don't know it? How do you eat an elephant? One piece at a time!)

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
.

Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)
30th president of US


Seriously though when would you pick your new year?


No comments:

Post a Comment